NEW YORK - Aiming to tackle recent high-profile breaches, popular micro-blogging site Twitter is introducing an optional two-step login for users to beef up security. The new system would try to ensure "it's really you" when a user signs in to Twitter, which transmits some 400 million messages a day. The move follows recent attacks into the twitter accounts of news organisations' such as ...
Fri May 24, 2013 5:09am EDT * HSI -0.2 pct, H-shares -0.2 pct, CSI300 +0.6 pct * Hong Kong shares extended losses to lowest in almost a month * China shares posted fourth-straight weekly gain * China property weak on fears of China's slowdown By Yimou Lee HONG KONG, May 24 (Reuters) - Hong Kong shares extended losses to fall to their lowest in almost a month on Friday with the property ...
Fri May 24, 2013 2:20am EDT * Top online social network put on black list * Network has been used to organise anti-Putin rallies MOSCOW May 24 (Reuters) - Russia's top online social network was banned on Friday from distributing content across the country, raising concerns of a clampdown on a forum used by President Vladimir Putin's opponents to organise protests. The ban on VKontakte ...
Dwell Media, the San Francisco based publisher of modern design bible Dwell, has hired Brandon Huff as its new evp of digital media to lead a new e-commerce push. Huff, who most recently was Yahoo's vp of commerce, will be in charge of overseeing all aspects of Dwell's digital agenda, from content distribution to design to the holy grail of magazine ...
Reddit . I spend a lot of time there, probably more than I should, but it’s definitely one of the first things that I check in the morning. That’s how I found out about the theater shooting in Aurora because someone who worked there had posted about it. It’s amazing-that site gets information faster than ...
Winds: From the Variable at 2 MPH
The Fire Within (Le feu follet) [DVD]
While Louis Malle is often associated with the French New Wave, largely because of the young age at which he made his first feature (he was in his early 20s) and the time period when he started making films (the late 1950s), he was always just outside that movement. Unlike Truffaut, G ... ...
Google is considering a bid for the mobile mapping and navigation company, Bloomberg reports. Could this be a play to keep Facebook out of its ...
Thu May 23, 2013 9:44pm EDT * Waze seeks more than $1 bln, multiple parties interested-Bloomberg * Maps and navigation services a key asset for tech firms * Apple not part of discussions - Bloomberg May 23 (Reuters) - Google Inc is considering buying Israeli mobile satellite navigation start-up Waze Inc, which may lead to a bidding war with Facebook Inc, Bloomberg news reported, citing people ...
(Credit: Hulu) Those companies looking to get a piece of the Hulu pie had until this week to put in their first round of bids for the video streaming service. And, it appears that so far four companies have gone in for a slice. Former News Corp president Peter Chernin, private equity fund Guggenheim Digital Media (which is headed the former interim Yahoo CEO by Ross Levinsohn), satellite ...
Thu May 23, 2013 8:53pm EDT * Regulators in early stages of probe on how Google handles some ad sales -source * Inquiry focuses on tools acquired with purchase of DoubleClick -source WASHINGTON May 23 (Reuters) - U.S. regulators are in the early stages of an antitrust probe into whether Google Inc , the top player in Web display advertising, breaks antitrust law in how it handles some ...
Twitter just got it. Apple recently got it, too. Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Amazon have had it for a while. But why's two-factor authentication important, and will it keep you ...
They Said It
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
I caught a cab from the Belfast International Airport, and within about 10 or 15 minutes was at the Hilton ...Keep reading
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
International TechnologyInternational Technology | Continuously updating Technology News
Breaking news from the world of technology. This online newspaper has an extended scope, providing regular updates of the latest in IT. Whether it be computers, software, Web site development, search engine news, social media developments, or general breakthroughs or new innovations, we'll bring you the news on International Technology. We also include international news stories, and updates from the business world and global markets.
In addition to our own resources, we take news from contracted wire services. We also spider external news sites, including the most renowned technology publications and digital media, on a regular basis, 24 hours a day, seven days a week to ensure our news is continually updated and refreshed.
For parties that require technology news headlines on their Web site we are happy to oblige, and have provided RSS feeds for this purpose. For readers wanting a daily email update of technology news delivered to their inbox, we provide this service on a daily basis, and it is complimentary.
We welcome your feedback. If you have any comments or suggestions about the technology technology website please forward them by using our Contact Us form.
Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt and director of Google Ideas Jared Cohen have warned London School of Economics students against censorship on the internet and the dangers that 'digital ethnic cleansing' pose.
Sky News quoted Schmidt, as saying that people will omit data if they want to restrict communication and information.
He, however, agreed that any piece of information cannot be completely concealed for a long time.
Speaking of the instructions for a 3D-printed plastic handgun that was published by a website operating in the United States, Schmidt said that some information needs to be censored on the internet, as cyber space is massively ungoverned in the absence of a delete button.
Despite the website originally posting the details being shut down by the U.S. Government, the designs had already been distributed widely across the internet and had appeared on other sites as well.
Schmidt expressed his anger over the incident, saying that people will die because of the gun manufacturer's reckless act, and also because of the information being spread all over the net.
Schmidt also expressed his concern over 'digital ethnic cleansing' which refers to slowing down of bandwidth that will in turn have a significant impact on development, economic opportunity and education. ...
- Twitter beefs up security with two-step login
- Hong Kong shares slide to 4-week low on China growth concerns
- UPDATE 1-Russias top social network blacklisted by regulator
- Dwell Media Hires New Head of Digital from Yahoo
- Rapture-Palooza Star Anna Kendrick Is Addicted to Reddit
- Press Start next-gen consoles ahead of high-end PCs Xbox One specs and more
- GRID 2 footage shows Okutama ‘Face-Off’ event
- Ninja Theory revealing ‘something new’ today
- Wii U sales jump on Amazon UK following Xbox One reveal
- Forza 5 official Xbox One box-art revealed Top Gear to return
- Friend of Boston bombers had confessed to 2011 triple murders claims FBI
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Flexible solar cells and displays may be possible with transparent electrode
- Crave giveaway Boombotix Boombot Rex portable speaker
- Cause of PC malaise Designs not compelling says Intel
- In risky new tack Microsoft stacks Surface against iPad
- Top apps to track severe weather
- Nokia steps up patent suit against HTC seeks ban on HTC One
- ASIC chides ASX over market announcement platform outage
- Vodafone class-action backer refuses to disclose sign-up numbers
- iPhone therefore I am ... a selfish disruptor
- Breach notification delays no excuse for poor security NetIQ
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest International Technology headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Google boss warns students against censorship of net and digital ethnic cleansing
- Salesforce.com outlook disappoints shares dip
- Video game allows angry French workers to kill Lakshmi Mittal
- Russia blacklists biggest social network Vkontake
- Samsungs new ad portray men as stupid dirty slobs